View Single Post
Old 12-19-18, 09:04 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thought i would put some notes here as it may be of use to someone - i found finding info on these wheel difficult.

DT Swiss RC 55 Track T wheel set.

These have been a really high quality set of wheels. As the name suggests they have a 55mm carbon rim construction. They use DT Swiss axle and bearings and spin very smoothly indeed. The axle body looks very similar to Dura Ace - not sure if there was some trading of info between the companies. The review here comments to the same effect ( https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/dt-swiss-rc-55-track-t-wheelset?fbclid=IwAR0PboeNcOpEM_orRHb6R-lvcHXYet5Ouzrzf7c6qQpZTklXmr5Inpovb8Y ).

The hubs have nice tall flanges and are laced with DT spokes - the overall package is super stiff. I am not a light rider and when giving full beans in a match sprint or in a standing start, i get no feeling of flex at all. Given the depth they are probably more suited to enduro events, buts its comforting to know they can stand up to high torque abuse.

I mostly ride these indoors, but i have ridden them outside at Herne Hill in crosswinds and the rim profile deals with cross winds very well.

I think these wheels were specced as standard on the top BMC track machine frames. You dont see many about but i would highly recommend considering them if you see some available and are in the market for an aero wheelset.

Lastly, they look sexy on the bike. That pretty much trumps everything in the end doesnt it?