View Single Post
Old 04-17-19, 06:09 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
High-speed rail has been pursued as a way of popularizing medium/long-distance transit to relieve air-traffic. The expense and political problems with it, however, block it from taking off.

Bus transit holds so much potential, since it can utilize existing roads and highways, but its unglamorous image impedes its popularity.

Many innovations and advances in buses have been achieved, such as wifi, better seats, and upper decks with better views on some carriers.

But what else could make bus transit more popular, especially for longer distances...

What other potential can you think of for bus transit for intercity travel?...
This is not a reply to suggest improvements, but just year I have found a new appreciation for buses.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?"

I too ride on urban / suburban routes with similar measures, but early, before 6 AM. I envision going to an indoor ATM machine to fix a flat, so I carry a bank card too...

Since I have excellent Commuter Rail as an alternative commute, even on which to take my bike, I have frankly disdained busses, which are more accesible and frequent on my routes.

Last week I did take a bus with my bike, and was pleased with the service, and carrying capacity, so now that looks like a primary emergency measure...
Furthermore the mass transit (MBTA) website has a detailed schedule, by closely-spaced, individual stops, for my 10 mile segment traversed by bus, between directly in front of my workplace, to a subway stop that delivers me within a mile of home.

So I can conveniently pick up the bus at any point, Bikes are allowed on that subway line during non peak hours, convenient for me as a reverse, non-peak commuter.