View Single Post
Old 06-08-19, 11:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I must have missed where you mentioned that you had a pickup that gets about 40mpg. What make/model is that and when was the last time it got 40 mpg?

Still don't know why you need a pickup truck for chauffeuring around your niece.
There are several "new" small pickups that get around 40 MPG, but none available in the USA. Perhaps one should try to apply the 25 year rule (1994 this year, 1995 models next year).

However, going back to the 1980's, there are two pickups that stand out in front of the pack.

The VW Caddy was American made, and sports a small 1.6L diesel engine.

The Chevy Luv was Japanese made, also sporting a tiny diesel engine with decent mileage. But, of course, discontinued.

Ford did not make a diesel Courier, but there was a Mazda B2200 diesel variant available.

And, a couple of early Ford Rangers had diesel.

Anyway, I was experimenting with biodiesel about 10 years ago, and ended up with an injection pump leak due to the biodiesel about 6 years ago that damaged the timing belt, and knocked my Caddy off the road.

I've started thinking about alternatives to the 1.6 naturally aspirated engine, such as either a 1.9 or 2.0 liter turbo diesel engine. And, if I go modern, I should be able to get it much cleaner burning (albeit, I may hit the era that VW was fooling around with the test procedures).

About 10 years ago I did make a trip from Eugene to Seattle in the Caddy, and got about 45 MPG. I think it was something I was buying from Craigslist or Ebay, but I can't remember quite what it was, or why I was going that far. But, I was regularly getting around 40 MPG around town. Pretty close to Mom's 1st and 2nd gen Prius cars, although her latest one is pushing > 50 MPG.

Unfortunately, with the upside-down way our government is with cars, pretty much the only options for high fuel efficient micro pickups is to go with 35 to 40 year old pickups.