View Single Post
Old 06-09-19, 11:31 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Do you really think it makes economic sense...
Not everything in the world has to make economic sense.

There are plenty of people on this board that are rehabbing 30+ year old bicycles because they enjoy it. And, then choose to also install rare 30+ year components on them for "that look". Or even track down expensive repro components.

But, new cars are also ridiculously expensive, and hardly make economic sense, especially if one is hardly driving, as they'll depreciate even if parked in the garage.

Finding a used car that is dirt cheap will bring with it it's own issues, not so different from what I already have.

And, finding a solid used car can still be mighty expensive.

I've known people barely making ends meet, and still dumping a lot of money into upgrading one worn out used car into another worn out used car.

Many repairs on used cars can be dirt cheap. So I'm not sure how you could argue that one is better off heading out and paying thousands of dollars for a battered used car rather than $100 to perhaps $500 to get what one already has running.

As far as "classics". It is hard to judge values solely based on asking prices without looking at sales prices, or how quickly they're selling. But, say one does a bang-up restoration job on the Ferves, it could likely be sold in the $20K to $40K range. The question might be how much it would cost to build a $40K car, but one thing about microcars is that there is not a lot to them, and parts can even be relatively cheap, that is, if one can find them.