Old 02-07-20, 05:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Just looked that dual drive up. It's listed as $238 CAD but as you say, out of stock. That's a far cheaper price. I like the idea.

Is it gone for good? Er.. just read up on it. Too bad
I think it has been out of production for two or three years, not enough demand for it. For a while i watched Ebay to see if a cheap one showed up to have as a spare, but never saw one at a bargain price. The only bikes that I have seen that used one (or its earlier version, the Sachs equivalent) were folding bikes. One really nice thing about it for small wheel bikes is that small wheel bikes are hard to get high enough gearing without absurdly large chainrings. But high gear in the dual drive is an overdrive, second gear is direct drive, thus you can use a smaller chainring and still get high gears. I think that makes it perfect for folding bikes that often have 16 or 20 inch wheels. Nutted axle only and 135mm spacing only.

I use a Sturmey Archer bar end shifter on it, the cable pull for the indexing appears to be nearly perfect.