Old 02-11-20, 10:47 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I had a shop mechanic really recommend NOT going for mechanical disc brakes. I don't know if he was just trying to sell me the more expensive groupset, but he seemed genuine. He was not the shop owner, but the mechanic, and he said the mechanical disc brakes are much more prone to needing readjustment and not work as well. The hydraulic systems are more difficult to set up, but once set up correctly just keep working.

Is this true? I am looking to buy a bike with SHimano Sora groupset, but the only thing I am worried about is the mechanical disc versus hydraulic on Tiagra or 105. I was contemplating going for Sora, but upgrading to hydraulic system later on. Which would be a pain, because the brake levers/ shifters between Sora, 105 and Tiagra are not interchangeable.

Hydraulic brakes don't require adjustment for cable stretch or pad wear. But for touring or general riding it's simple & quick to do the occasional adjustment for cable stretch/pad wear.

Gear range is more important than brake type. For loaded hilly touring the wide-range 3x9 Sora might be best but if one is OK with a bit less gear range then 2x Tiagra/105 with hydro brakes could be nice. For touring I think the main advantage of hydraulic brakes is the ease of braking.