Old 02-12-20, 06:11 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hmm, I did not even consider the actual travel process, packing the bike and flying with it. Seems like hydraulic would be more of a hassle / risk for that as well. I have never owned hydraulic, so not sure how "fragile" it is, but for my bike box I fly with, I do need to take my handlebars off, twist them around significantly, and tape them sideways to the frame. With cables, there is no issue at all. Would this be a problem with hydraulic lines? I have read some people suggest taking off the calipers to not put strain on the lines, but the bike I am getting has internal cable routing, so that is not an easy thing to do either.
The other to remember with hydraulic is to fit pad spacers if you take wheels off, so the pistons don't pop out if the brake lever is operated. Not a biggie, but another thing to remember in that packing frenzy on the airport forecourt.