View Single Post
Old 05-29-20, 05:32 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Thruhiker
I have always been a fan of exofficio. But duluth trading post armachillios are now my new favorite. Expensive but have lasted years. Still wearing the same two pairs i bought for when I hiked the Florida trail. That was over 2 years ago. I've taken the same 2 pairs on all my bike trips since then as well. Probably at least 4000 miles. I wear them at least once a week. There especially great for hot weather but I wear mine year round.
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I didn't read through all of these posts...
Thruhiker - the thread is over a year old now. I'm curious how you came to it - the info you offered points to answering the question in the original post, but well over a year ago.

From your username I gather you do a lot of backpacking.

When I was in college I started backapcking and was taught the ABC's (Anything But Cotton). I got on to Exofficio boxer briefs (space like boxers, tighter leg holes like briefs) for hiking in. When I started cycling in 2014 I wore the same and had no trouble with the fit of them, or positioning. Saddle is a Brooks Flyer Special, not padded but sprung. I let the saddle break in without padded shorts. I spent most of my first year cycling hammering out things to dial in and tune with my bike fitment, posture, etc. At one point as my fitness improved and I was going out further and further one of the limitations I hit was my ability to sit on the saddle for the time it took to ride the longer distances (north of 60 miles at that point). So that is when I decided to make the jump to padded bike shorts.

I have 2 bikes that I ride distance - my Disk Trucker with the Brooks on it and a stock Dahon Mariner D8. The saddle on the Dahon is comfortable for me - padded. If I am riding 10 miles or under I don't put padded shorts on. I'll ride it in normal casual clothes. I have done the same on the Disk Trucker but if I am in a position to ride a bike casually its usually not the bike that is with me - its the folding Dahon.

I have 3 pairs of Canari cycling shorts now. I got 2 more pairs of the same ones I got a few years back (or closest redesign of them) last year in preparation for a tour that fizzled. I took a few people's advice and didn't go "cheap". The pair I got worked well so I figured they were worth getting more of. Maybe I'll try some others just to try them going forward, but if something works already why change it up?

I have since added chamois cream to my arsenal as well. If I am riding back-to-back days I'll use it. On some longer day trips I may also, but not generally unless I am hitting miles on consecutive days. If I'm doing shorter rides (under 30mi or so) back-to-back I may not.
https://www.chamoisbuttr.com/