Old 11-25-20, 11:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
so i picked a new bike the other day...everything is working well except one thing. I have an mechanical 11 speed, when im in the 11 cog occasionally the chain skips like it maybe trying to shift gears.the indexing seems to be very crisp and precise so i dont think that is the issue but what do i know....any ideas? lol please dont tell me to take it back to the shop, im sure this is a very easy fix and its more of a hassle to go back there!😂
sounds like the chain is trying to pull itself up onto the next largest sprocket, ie, your RD cable tension is too high. I would try screwing the RD barrel adjuster in (clockwise) a half turn and take it for a spin. This adjustment shortens the effective length of the RD cable housing, thereby reducing cable tension. If you have a stand, best thing to do is to put the RD through it’s paces on the stand. The half-turn adjustment will potentially affect shifting on all the gears. If you find that shifting to larger sprockets becomes a little hesitant across the board, then back the barrel adjuster out (counter clockwise) 1/4 turn and try again. Adjusting shifting is a compromise - you adjust until you get the best result across the whole range. If your shifting is currently perfect except for this occasional issue with the 11t only, another possibility is that your RD high limit screw is in too far, and it’s not allowing the chain to sit squarely on the 11t sprocket, the result being that the chain is half heartedly trying to climb up onto the next largest sprocket. Back out the high limit screw 1/4 turn and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited by Litespud; 11-25-20 at 11:59 PM.