Old 01-13-21, 08:11 AM
CiscoKydd

Bikes: 2017 Diamondback Recoil 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CiscoKydd
I bought a Diamondback Recoil 29 mountain bike from a neighbor recently. Everything is original on it.
The brake and gear cables have been cut off. It needs quite a bit of work to get it riding again. I am disabled with a spine injury. So I only want to ride it gently for exercise.
Anyway, I noticed the barrel adjuster screw for the front caliper is missing. I checked Amazon and eBay and I cannot find it. I also visited the Tektro website. I did not see it listed as a part. I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know how or where I can get one of these?
Someone please help!
Update: My LBS did not have the part so I decided to order new, red, Zoom calipers front & rear. Thank you guys for your advice.
I am a complete newbie. I repaired multiple bikes as a teenager. But they are completely different now. I am learning as I go along.
I worked at my dad's gas stations since the age of six. And fixed bikes for family, friends and neighbors. So I have quite a bit of mechanical experience.
I have completely stripped the frame. I will keep it raw aluminum. Next, I decided to go with a red and black color theme. It's all very low-budget. I bought an SA Suntour XCR RL air fork black. IXF 1 X crank black with bb and Snail 32T narrow-wide chainring red, MZYRH aluminum 3 bearing pedals red & black. I added red crank protectors.
I still have not decided on which handlebar and stem yet. I ordered a Cane Creek/ Ahead zero stack headset. Everything I have learned about mountain bike concepts and terminology I credit to Bike Forums, Youtube (especially Park Tools videos) and Google. I am thankful for Bike Forums site. And I am thankful for the knowledge of the members. Thank all of you.
​​As I progress with my Winter project I hope that you guys don't mind answering the questions I have as I go along.
Thanks again.
QUESTION: Is it possible to convert to cartridge bearings instead of caged bearings? Does it make sense to attempt this? Are there advantages or disadvantages?

Last edited by CiscoKydd; 01-13-21 at 08:54 AM.