Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by CiscoKydd
Update: I decided to order new, red, Zoom calipers front & rear. Thank you guys for your advice.
I am a complete newbie. I repaired multiple bikes as a teenager. But they are completely different now. I am learning as I go along.
I worked at my dad's gas stations since the age of six. And fixed bikes for family, friends and neighbors. So I have quite a bit of mechanical experience.
I have completely stripped the frame. I will keep it raw aluminum. Next, I decided to go with a red and black color theme. It's all very low-budget. I bought a SA Suntour XCR RL air fork black. IXF 1 X crank black with Snail 32T chainring red, MZYRH aluminum 3 bearing pedals red & black.
I still have not decided on which handlebar and stem yet. I ordered a Cane Creek zero stack headset. Everything I have learned about mountain bikes concepts and terminology I credit to Bike Forums, Youtube (especially Park Tools videos) and Google. I am thankful for Bike Forums site. And I am thankful for the knowledge of the members. Thank all of you.
​​As I progress with my Winter project I hope that you guys don't mind answering the questions I have as I go along.
along.Thanks again.
Question: Is it possible to convert to cartridge bearings instead of caged bearings? Does it make sense to attempt this? Are there advantages or disadvantages?
Which bearings are you talking about?

If a part is built with caged bearings, you can’t just stick a cartridge bearing in there.

But you can just change the part, such as a headset from a caged bearing unit to one with cartridge bearings.