pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yangmusa
As the current owner of a Birdy and ex-owner of a Xootr Swift, I'm very happy with the suspension. The Xootr was a faster bike on perfect surfaces, but I found it jarring and uncomfortable on most of the roads locally. The Birdy is probably a little slower, but I find long rides much more comfortable. I've done lots of 30-60 mile rides on the Birdy and it's a real pleasure.

Actually, I'm considering making it my touring bike too. So I'd need to get the rear rack, and increase the gearing range. I have the 9-speed capreo, and am considering getting a 53/39 double crank. Has anyone done this conversion? I seem to remember reading that putting a double crank on may mean that the chain falls off more often when folding?
Yes, the suspension is a must with the little wheels. The Birdy's suspension is pretty tight. There is about 2 cm of travel on a good pothole. Good at absorbing road vibration, but nothing like a mountain bike.

When I ride in Thailand, I use a double on the front. The chain falls off every time I fold the bike. So, I usually switch to a wax based lubricant. Helps keep the fingers clean a little bit. Being a New Yorker, I always fold and bring it inside.