Old 05-14-09, 01:23 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman

BUT if I start seeing Segways, roller bladers, joggers etc in bike lanes then it becomes another issue.
I often see joggers in bike lanes, running against traffic. Even where there is a sidewalk in good repair right next to them. They don't mind displacing me into traffic so that I can go past them.

I would not object to wheelchairs in bike lanes, as long as they were devices with electric (not gas) motors and not capable of going faster than 25mph on flat ground. I would prefer if they were going with the traffic direction, and had visibility gear (blinky, triangle, etc). It would be wise for a wheelchair user who regularly used a bike lane to have a mirror to assist in their situational awareness.

I remember a case of a woman who used a wheelchair who lived in a neighborhood with sidewalks in horrible disrepair from a few years ago. She was arrested for child endangerment for having one of her children on her lap in the chair, while traveling in the road. I don't recall whether this was a manual or power wheelchair, or whether she had lights.

The situation of passengers with the wheelchair operator, in a bike lane, could be quite dangerous.

I know that motorized wheelchairs and those electric motor mobility scooters are not allowed on some of the MUPs where I live, like the American Tobacco Trail. No motorized vehicles are allowed.