Old 01-12-24, 06:47 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 250 Posts
The concept does sound pretty cool, IMO. But, technology has long since passed me by. I've pretty much settled at the manual shifting/human powered pedaling/basic bike computer w/o GPS or Bluetooth/tubed tires/bike trainer with a TV playing DVDs level of bike tech. I feel no need to progress beyond that, but if forced (i.e. the "old tech" is no longer available, or "new tech" is standard on a bike I'm buying), I'll roll with it.

My latest bike (June, 2023), for example, has hydraulic disk brakes, 12 speed cassette and tubeless-ready rims. The disk brakes I was already somewhat familiar with, since the tandem we bought in 2015 has cabled disk brakes. The hydraulic system is sealed, so unless something happens I shouldn't have to fool with it, and if something needs to be done I'll probably let my LBS do it - with the way I ride it isn't likely that the frequency of adjustment will make it reasonable to buy the necessary tools and acquire the necessary expertise. The 12 speed cassette change is unnoticeable (I think - I'll have to see if my cassette lock-ring tool and my chain breaker will still work, or if I'll have to get a new tool(s)). I had a bit of a learning curve with tubeless-ready rims: seating a tire bead is a bit different/a bit more trouble. The true test of my new competence in that area will be my first flat out on the road, of course. Hopefully that won't happen until the weather warms up (there, now I've jinxed myself).