View Single Post
Old 07-02-20, 03:29 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
https://strava.app.link/vzFD9AOMN7

so much anger against strava for charging $5 monthly.

why people these days think they should not have to pay for other people’s work but if they don’t pay and have their data used scream scandal?

would people have preferred a British Analytica scandal like Facebook did with private users data?
I tend to agree. I think if you use Strava a lot and like it, then you should be more than willing to pay $6 a month. That is equivalent to one fast food meal a month for one person. A lot of people probably have that much money in their couches. If, on the other hand, you rarely use it and just check in once in a while, then the free tier is probably fine for you.

A lot of people are real cheapskates when it comes to intellectual property. They want software to be free, movies to be free, songs to be free, etc. All of those things take a lot of time and effort to produce so the idea that they should be free is simply not realistic or just. Someone said in another thread that they don't like "renting software", but Strava runs on AWS servers that the Strava company must continually pay for. There is also a team which provides customer support, and one to fix bugs, etc. It seems fair to have a monthly fee for something like this.

Yes, Strava has bugs, as does almost every other large software application. I'm a software developer myself so I've noticed a few, but I don't think Strava is noticeably worse than any other commercial software I've used. I log on to it almost every day to check my own stats and the stats of my friends, and am happy to be a subscriber.