Thread: 10 mile limit?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-19, 03:56 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Drop bars have been the Thing To Have in North America for quite some time, but it's easy to overlook the fact that many people around the world ride VERY long distances (like, actual bike touring) on flat bars or butterfly bars or others that give the bike a rather upright riding position. More on that here.

I've done 30 miles on my Giant Roam (with a suspension fork <gasp!>), but I'm personally usually limited by time rather than by distance. I average about 12 mph when I ride, and I just don't have 4-5 hour blocks of time to devote to uninterrupted riding. Accordingly, most of my rides are in the 10-12 mile range, keeping it to the hour I might have available after supper or at lunch, etc. I did 12 miles touring cherry blossoms in DC last weekend -- on my mountain bike. My folks were in town and I let my dad ride my Roam and I took my mountain bike. It's got tires for hardpack, so it wasn't too bad. We rode another 10 miles or so around home the following day.

The bottom line: ride what you like! I don't like drop bars, and I ride what is comfortable to me. If you like drop bars, then go for it! We're all on the "same team"...being positive ambassadors for the cycling community...no matter our choice in handlebar or bicycle type!
Yeah, it's a pity I'm sooooo uncomfortable on my multi-week tours on my upright bike... the 10 mile limit must explain why it takes multiple weeks to get anywhere eh! Of course if you just buy a bike with straight bars and one hand position things are gonna hurt eventually, but butterflies, crazy bars and loop bars offer just as many hand (back) positions as drop bars. It's being able to change the angle of your back that is the benefit of multiple hand positions, different back angle = different muscle use = being able to hold more weight off your hands. Then again, with my Loop bars I pretty well spend all day in one position because it's about perfect for my body.
Likes For Trevtassie: