Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by KittyBikes
Hello All,
When I was younger (teens) I was a slender woman and a good runner. Slow-ish but could go forever. In my adult life, lazy and overeating; gained weight and now I am diabetic. Tried to run again, but that was killing my body, so my Dad bought me a bike for my birthday. It's a hybrid bike. I'm 33 in case that matters.

My goal is to ride fairly long distances, doing around 20 miles 3X a week with a long ride on Sunday, the purpose being to burn off blood sugar. Of course I want to lose weight. Now don't laugh, but right now I can do about 6-8 miles and I do this 2-3 times a week, 8.8 miles/hour. I live in an area that is not flat, some rolling hills but no mountains.

I started this adventure in early June and I am still struggling. My muscles seem to die on hills; they give out and I can't push them anymore. I slow way down and lower my gears and go slow, and usually, I don't have to get off my bike but by the time I am done with 6-8 miles, I feel I have nothing more to give.

I limit my carbs as a condition of my diabetes, so most days I have eaten about 20 carbs before my bike ride. Is this too little? I am not making gains in speed or distance despite continuing to ride. I'm not being strategic about training because I don't know much, just trying to increase my rides in terms of duration and how often I ride. My other thought is that for a while I was only riding maybe 2 times a week because my muscles were so sore and tired!

I could really use any suggestions you have and thank you so much.
I remember when I first got back into cycling. The hills here seemed like enormous mountains. After a season they got a lot easier.; Now I look at those same "mountains" and laugh. They now seem like mere bumps in the road. It just takes time to get back in condition. Just keep at it and be patient.
Likes For spinnaker: