View Single Post
Old 11-07-19, 10:05 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
As a fairly avid runner and cyclist I decided to engage a coach and schedule regular weight training sessions, work on the correct compound movement techniques and get competent in pushing iron around the gym.

The results have been fairly disastrous, but I think it is more a cautionary tale for us older folks. Perhaps it is the interference effect, perhaps it's just this old body can't adjust to mechanics of managing heavy weight training, perhaps the recovery phase necessary at my age is just impractical for my schedule. But I've been hobbling around for months, my running and cycling are for crap, I am always sore or medicating for some torn little chest or shoulder muscle or a screaming quad muscle - blah, blah, blah.

On the positive side, I have sure learned a lot. I had no idea just how technical these exercises are if done correctly. It's like for a simple bench press there are a half of dozen techniques to master if you want to optimize the movement safely.

My PSA is for us medicare years cyclists, think twice before jumping into the weight training thing with any zeal. It is a major shock to the system, nothing like doing some push-ups, P90x or burpees on off days. It's made the second half of 2019 my worst season over the last five years - a real throw-away.

Off the soapbox.
As others have said, it sounds to me like you're trying to do too much too soon. I also wonder if your trainer isn't being flexible enough with their (your) exercise choices.