Old 11-11-19, 12:41 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I decided to engage a coach and schedule regular weight training sessions ... The results have been fairly disastrous, but I think it is more a cautionary tale for us older folks.
Can you describe the basic sequence of exercise/cardio/stretching choices that were made, from the start to the point when you began hobbling?

I suspect that for your given level of experience, fitness, strength, that you went too heavy, did more-complex and -advance moves that (as pointed out) can require an amount of knowledge and muscle-memory to get "right."

The idea of starting out with resistance bands/tubes, floor exercises, stretching and "the basics" and moving slowly up through lighter weights and simpler exercises has a lot of merit. Depends on the person, to a great extent, of course. But it can avoid a lot of pain and needless risk of injury.

My own great injury occurred decades ago but it was based on a mismatch between me and the challenge ... too much range of motion required for the activity at the strength levels and speeds of the performance I was hitting. Bad news, as something "blew" in the legs. Am still dealing with the ramifications (limitations) years later. Would have been vastly better-served to have gone more slowly, ramping up my performance as my ROM improved. Learned a lot from that experience, but oh did it limit what I could do once I did get back to performance condition.