Old 06-16-19, 01:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Ugh, I really dislike that condescending "Ain't spunky old people cute?" BS as much as I dislike the delusional "Age is just an illusion" BS spouted by "accidental icon" Lyn Slater on those GoDaddy ads. There's nothing accidental about deliberately manufacturing iconhood in cooperation with a media corporation.

And age is not an illusion. After being caregiver for three consecutive older family members until each died, and now suddenly confronting the consequences of neglecting my own health until I was 60, it's pretty danged clear that aging is an inescapable reality. We can cope with it as best we can and make the most of what we have, but it's delusional to pretend it isn't happening.

I'm in the best shape I've been in since 2001 when I was injured in a car wreck, then developed several health complications. While I'm grateful for being fortunate enough to regain some fitness, I'm also acutely aware of the time I lost during a long recuperation. And the window of opportunity to maximize my fitness will soon shut. I can probably continue to improve, get a little faster and stronger on the bike, for maybe another five years. After that, even without any additional injuries or illnesses, age will impose inevitable limitations. I can work out as much as possible but I'll get slower and weaker, barring indulging in controversial age defying regimes involving anabolic steroids, HGH, EPO, etc. And if I could afford, damn right I'd do it.