View Single Post
Old 07-25-20, 03:13 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanders
I want to replace my aging road helmet. It is a Louis Garneau size XL. I wear a size 8 hat and have an oblong head shape. The Garneau was the best fit I could find years ago but they don't seem to have an equivalent now. I ride road only and want something well ventilated. I can't seem to find much online. Suggestions?
If you're replacing a helmet now the Bontrager Q-cell helmet is a good idea. It is a bit oblong but the most important feature is that it is designed to prevent concussion whereas other helmets follow the International standard which is designed to prevent skull fracture. Most of the bad head injuries isn't skull fracture but concussion. And I had one of those and had no awareness because no short term memory for two years before a friend got me to a proper neurologist. Most of these guys treat aging diseases and forget how to handle concussion. Neurologists that work with football teams are far more familiar with treating concussion. I have to take medication for the rest of my life and it screws up my balance. So I couldn't pass a drunk test under any conditions. In fact, I have to retain a visual horizon to walk. Good thing that bikes balance themselves. This crash was caused by a large number of coincidences that would be almost impossible to repeat.