Old 03-11-12, 08:17 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Taipei Tony
Hi all, I went to the Taipei Cycle Show earlier today and here's my trip report.
Now for the prices. These prices are for Tern and I really shouldn't be telling you guys this but what the hell. It's interesting because the guy showed me this chart with all the prices. It had a U.S. price, a Taiwanese retail price, and a “special” Taiwanese price. What's even more interesting is that the U.S. price on the Uno doesn't match the prices that I've seen online. This may sound complicated but here it goes: For example, the Uno is listed as $650 on many U.S. Retail sites. But it's listed U.S. price is only $599 on that chart. The listed U.S. price for the Duo is the same as the U.S. retail price, $1000. Now for the Taiwanese prices. The Uno has a retail price of 17,900nt($608) which matches almost exactly with their listed U.S. price. The “special” price is 14,900nt($506) which is $150 cheaper than U.S. retail prices, a significant savings. The Duo has a retail price of 29,990nt($1019), again this matches almost exactly as the listed U.S. price. The “special” price is 26,000nt($883), a savings of around $120 compared to U.S. retail.

Forget the red herring regarding prices... The USA types WILL NOT work for asian wages, NOR live in Asia on asian wages. Period.
You speak of different prices as if any western has a clue about differing standards of living, and...

Forget the price differences. GET what suits you and swallow the price differences - unless you want to work in a sweat-shop and learn Mandarin..
Cheap is cheep - and that includes red herrings...
Bin der, dunn dat.
BTW, I am overseas travelling and see LOTS of expats living high-off-the-hog on their western savings in "cheap" (or is it inexpensive) surroundings while the locals cobble together their wages for their families and are VERY happy that the westerners are here... providing them with a living that none of the expats would want