Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Well thanks mods, for completely deleting my OP when moving the topic. Anyway, my question / comment was this:

I know this is a controversial topic, so let's keep things civil, but here goes: Lance Armstrong is now doing a cycling podcast where he comments with a friend on professional racing. I never sought out his podcast, but it kept showing up in my Youtube suggestions (probably because I watch a lot of cycling related videos). He also has brands / companies sponsor this podcast.

Personally, I am disgusted that the name "Lance Armstrong" is even mentioned in the same sentence as the word "cycling", even if it is just a podcast. Eternity would be too soon for me. He did so much damage to the sport and it's reputation. But the man clearly has no shame. And there are actually brands that want to have their name associated with this thing? Wow. Just wow.

Sure, there are other former dopers who are still active in professional cycling (which is also troublesome in my opinion). But LA was the most visible figure in the sport for about a decade. I would argue his actions have done more to harm the sport, and its credibility, than any other doper in the history of the sport (or perhaps ANY sport) have. He also went above and beyond other "convicted" dopers in covering up, threatening, blackmailing, taking legal action against accusers (who turned out to be right), etc.

Obviously, nobody can prevent him from doing this podcast, and he is just looking to make a living (not that he needs to make any money ever again). However, for me personally, I could not ever listen to or watch his stuff, the man just sickens me.

I was just genuinely curious to know how others feel about it, especially Americans (since this forum mostly has US-based members). I pretty much know how Europeans (myself included) feel about him nowadays.
You bring up some excellent points. I must however ask you this: Do you think that team Sky is doping or could be doping? Would that change your mind concerning Lance?

i really don’t like Lance very much. He used a lot of people up to win the tour 7 times and he didn’t win the other classics like some other famous riders have.

This being said we can learn so much from the podcasts that Lance puts out. We can learn so much about our sport.