Old 06-06-19, 05:30 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
The challenge of Gatorade(etc) powder

I find I do a lot better on long rides in hot weather if I mix gatorade powder (and often also an electrolyte tablet) into my water.

Obviously, one can buy that or its competitors premixed at any convenience store along the ride, or mix it at home, but a lot of the point is to be able to bring the powder to add when refilling bottles mid-ride.

But what's a good way to transport a supply of the stuff for an all-day ride?

I tried putting it in the small "snack size" sandwich bags, but even those are still really hard to shake into a bottle without spilling.

Having had a tub absorb some moisture over the winter and clump, I though to try doing that intentionally by adding some water to the bag, but was careless and got too much - so I added more powder thinking to make a double refill, but all I ended up with was a gooey mess that was even harder to get out of the bag.

I feel like there should be some way to wrap the stuff in waxed paper with twisted ends or something, and come up with a solution I can just tear open and dump into the bottle.

In theory it is sold in pre-measured packets, but the only place I've ever seen that is a metal shop catalog...