View Single Post
Old 07-01-19, 10:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've been riding wide Paselas (32c-38c) on Mavic Open Pro and Open Sport rims with zero issues. Wider rims might be better, but that narrow works just fine.

And yes, tubulars (or equivalent quality) are better handling and far safer when flatted (even blown out) at speed. You can ride a well glued on tubular to a stop reliably from any speed, even doing some of your braking with that wheel. You can also ride that flatted wheel as far as you need to. Yes, risking damage to the tire and rim, but if you have to, you always can. Gotta ride it 10 miles? Go ahead. I've had tubulars blow out at 45 mph. My heart rate spikes, but the rest is no big deal.

If you want to get an idea of how well tubulars corner, look at any photo of a '70s criterium corner. You will see unreal bank angles; angles we all took for granted. Scary yes, but less so than the idea of doing less, ie going slower among that tight pack of riders. The new G+ clinchers are getting close to what we rode 50 years ago. I am looking forward to going G+ tubulars.

Ben