View Single Post
Old 07-01-19, 07:54 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Regarding clinchers, no, it's pragmatic.

I found out the difference the hard way, one of my first time riding clinchers.

Light rain, a moderate curve, and a pothole unseen till too late. I was down on the floor before it even registered in my brain that I flatted. Like hitting an oil patch in a rotary in the rain... Sucks. It's instantaneous. You're flying along one moment, the next you're giving up skin. Luckily I'm a lot slower than I used to be. I was bruised, and embarrassed. What the heck? A front blowout happens with tubulars, there's a good chance of remaining upright. I found out it's not so easy with clinchers. The pros know this.

There have been some tubeless wins, but apparently they still have problems. I think the pros will mostly stick to tubulars, until tubeless are as reliable in all situations. Clinchers will remain the province of TTs and perhaps in races with no fast descents.
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in the thread since the "myth" addresses descending on tubulars from a handling and not safety perspective. Tubeless tires are less likely to blow out and come off than normal clinchers because of the tighter hook/bead interface, sealant, rims not getting hot anymore, and tube related issues.