View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 06:42 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by JJam2112
Awesome thanks everyone. I’m enjoying these pictures of everyone’s bikes and projects. Keep sending them if you have them. I’m getting lots of ideas.
Here's a Multi Track for sale - $155 - North Jersey. The photos show how this bike might work for you.

If you measure the top tube length and compare it to the measurement on a road bike that fits you, you'll have some idea re: the practicality of converting to drop bars. Looks like this bike would work with a standard drop bar 1" quill stem and suitable bars - maybe a 90mm stem. You could take it to a bike shop and try different stem lengths/heights before buying the stem. Most bike shops have lots of old quill stems suitable for the purpose.

It comes with indexed grip shifters - 7 speed I think - if you keep the rear der. after converting to drops you'll probably need to run it using a friction shifter. However, the rear spacing on this bike is probably 130mm and it has a cassette. You may be able to upgrade to 9 or 10 speed without too much trouble - new RD, shifters, cassette, cables - maybe $200. The wheels are 700c - ok quality, but you may want to upgrade - figure $225 for a new set of good machine-built wheels.

Plenty of other opportunities to spend money on upgrades - hard to know where to stop! Crank set, BB, handlebars, seat, Could easily spend $600 or more making this bike what you want it to be (plus the cost of the bike)

What's your budget? Might be better to spend more $$ buying a used gravel bike that is closer to exactly what you want. ??

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik...935285154.html