Old 08-28-19, 12:12 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
We get our hottest days in OC usually in the fall, when there is high pressure inland and a very slight offshore flow. Downslope compression and no sea breeze really cooks here. I was riding home about mid October 4 years ago. Riding thru Irvine on the San Diego creek trail (almost flat) about 13 mph my heart rate was 165, it was hot, yeah, but I didn't realize how hot. Stopped at a drinking fountain, filled and drank two bottles, filled it again and dumped it over me and set off for Lake Forest, about 7 miles to go with two full bottles. Had to stop in the shade near Costco and dump another bottle over me, drank the other one by the time I got home. Looked at the outside thermometer, it was 107. That's too hot!
Here in NE Oregon it is desert complete with goat heads, Russian Olive, Sage Brush and sand. It usually is over 100 degrees here in the summer (as high as 120), but this summer seems mild with only a few days that have been over 100 degrees (around 104-109). It also is very dry here even though we are on the Columbia River. Sometimes in the summer it is better to ride the trainer than to try and brave the heat.