Old 04-15-22, 04:00 PM
John Hawkinson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by me
But my experience is I get many years and sets of pads out of a set of brake cables, and that loosening and tightening the pinch bolt more than a few times leads to a freyed cable,
Originally Posted by bboy314
Past the initial new pad setup, I never really have to mess with the pad spacing. If your cable is fraying when you adjust it, you might just be overtightening a little. I do like to use a simple straddle yoke without pinch bolts which makes it easier to just tighten the cable at the brake arm.
Wow, I was really unclear, I don't now why I wrote it the way I did, sorry. I don't actually have any meaningful experience tightening (or overtightening) my brake cables, and indeed I think I've only ever replaced my own brake cables once, although I guess I have replaced a seized pair of calipers too, and it was in doing the latter that I noted the brake cable looked pretty frayed on the brake after however many years (I forget when the LBS last replaced the brake cables, if ever). So it was really a theoretical concern. Perhaps it is unjustified!