View Single Post
Old 10-11-18, 05:42 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
So your front spokes aren't in lateral cross. Each flange's spokes use the corresponding side of rim holes b/c that gives a good enough sideways angle w/o causing the spoke to bend at nipple exit.

Originally Posted by Speedway2
I was wondering why the spokes are lined up on one side..The bike's a 2spd with coaster brake and the spokes are lined up on the same side as the drive (chain).
Best assumption I can come up with from the pic:
Your rear hub is probably not entirely symmetrical, with one flange being further inboard than the other. If they'd laced the most inboard flange to the same side row of rim holes, maybe the spokes had ended too close to vertical for a reliable build.
So they laced the most inboard flange to the opposite side of the rim to get a better lateral (sideways) spoke angle.

Originally Posted by Speedway2
I'm guessing its to manage the torque of accelerating and braking?
Spokes are crossed tangentially(leaning fore/aft) to let the hub transfer either drive or brake torque to the rest of the wheel. Strictly speaking, they don't need to cross, it's possible to build a wheel where all spokes on one side leans forward and all spokes on the other side leans aft. But the every 2nd spoke approach has proven itself over time to be a good lace pattern.