View Single Post
Old 01-13-19, 12:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Yikes. I guess we are all getting more fragile. :-( Her repair looks so much like my tibia repair ... I should have given you my hardware.

Did the doc say anything about soft tissue damage? I hope she avoided that ... bones heal pretty well, but soft tissue damage can be a much harder nut to crack.
Great question and one we were really concerned about. The surgeon said she was lucky as there wasn’t any tissue damage such as the rotator cuff. That was at least one positive outcome. So for now we’re just hoping the bone heals and the blood flow returns.

Interestingly in the ER, they attempted to put it back in place and realign the bone to hopefully avoid surgery. I’m no doctor but with that kind of fracture but after seeing the X-rays I’m really surprised they even tried that. She was in even more pain after they tried it.

He did did talk about what a lengthy recovery it would be for this type of shoulder injury. She’ll be in the sling for at least 3 months with very minimal movement during that period. Then just very minor improvements and movements for several more months. He said she’d probably never be able to hold her arm straight up in the air again but he hoped to get her close to that over a long period.

It’s interesting how long it takes us to get everything done in the mornings. Just the basic stuff.....I get her ready then get myself ready.

She’s currently doing minimal pain meds every 4 hours so at night I get up with her to help her get back in bed, change ice packs etc. I’m not complaining at all, just an observation on what’s required for basic stuff. I’m sure anyone whose been a caregiver for family or friends can really elaborate.