Old 02-14-19, 01:20 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I'm running a KMC rust resistant chain right now, after several winters with normal chains.

Definitely worth it.

It allows me to be less fastidious about constant cleaning and lubing in the winter, and with periodic cleaning/lubing has held up very well to the nasty and salty conditions. It cost 3x a normal chain, but I think it is a conservative estimate to say it will last 3x as long, not to mention the time saved on cleaning. With my old chains, if I didn't hose it down and lube immediately after most winter rides, it was often unrideable the next time I tried to go out. With this one, I've hit it up with some TLC a couple of times this winter, and by and large don't worry about it very much.
I never noticed 3X wear life between the cheapest and most expensive chains, double at most.

The cheapest chain I used probably wasn't even heat treated, a fake KMC 1/8", that lasted 5000KM.

The best chain I have used has over 10,000KM (KMC X8) and is still in use, probably quite close to the end of its life, still shifts OK and doesn't skip yet.