Old 08-22-15, 11:42 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
In the summer of '11 I was looking for a bike path in Keene, NH and stopped to talk with another guy on a bicycle to inquire as to its whereabouts. The long and short of the conversation was that I could go looking for a stealth campsite or share his. He was homeless and unemployed though his knowledge of bicycles led me to believe he had some skills as a bike mechanic. He was a pleasant enough guy and welcomed the company. In the morning I gave him $20 which was what I calculated would have been the fee for a tentsite at the local Wheelock Park campground. The one he provided, while closer to downtown, was probably quieter than the campground would have been. Plus, there were two trees that were spaced perfectly for my hammock which is always an issue at campgrounds.
My friends and I ended up stopping one night in Keene on a tour from Albany to Acadia National Park in Maine. We thought we were going to use the AYH for lodging, but it had just closed because Keene State College (where it was) was gearing up for the fall semester. We ended up camping on the college baseball diamond's infield.

As for homeless, most of them have issues, including opportunistic predatory behavior. Personally, I would avoid them.