View Single Post
Old 01-22-19, 08:56 AM
mikeread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Old Tools - any good?

I bought a box of old frame building tools a few years back - off a guy who hadn't built a frame for many years. They were all in bits and I didn't really know what they were or what went where, so I put them on a shelf until I needed them.

About 10 years later (today), I dug them out to see what I had, not expecting them to be much use for the oversize tube sizes I am using. I think I have them figured out and that they will be more useful than I expected.

Head tube facing tool - I believe this is assembled correctly? I was pleased to find it already had the guide part to fit in an oversize head tube and that the cutter is wide enough too. I suspected the tool dates from before 1 1/8 " steerers were invented!
Can I use this with the existing cutter and guide to face the bottom bracket?

Fork race setting tool - I have bored this out to work with 1 1/8 steerers

Bottom bracket thread cleaning tool - should work OK

Adjustable reamer - It is marked 25.98 to 30.16mm Is it possible to use this tool slightly beyond its designed range? I ask as I am using a 31.7 x 0.6 seat tube so will need to ream about 30.6mm and I do seem to be able to adjust the reamer big enough.

So am I correct that the only thing I need now is a 1 1/8 head tube reamer to fit on the facing tool?

I did also get 1" fork threading and crown cutting tools but I cannot see them being useful at all.