View Single Post
Old 07-15-19, 08:29 AM
LawSchweiin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
Welcome to Bike Forums and to the San Diego area. I live in La Jolla as well. Road cycling in and around La Jolla is limited and there is a lot of traffic but one can definitely tool around. My cycling in La Jolla is climbing Soledad via the various roads. Probably the best climb is Soledad Mountain Road from Garnet Avenue to the Cross. There are bike lanes and good pavement and a 15 to 20 minute climb more or less depending on ability. I also ride around Fiesta Island. If I want a longer ride, I can ride the coast via Pacific Coast Highway starting in La Jolla. San Diego has a velodrome in Balboa Park. I train and race at the velodrome and it is a nice facility. Lessons and rental bikes are available for new riders.

There are several racing teams and touring bike clubs in SD that you may want to check out. And there is a lot of cycling in north county, Palomar Mountain, east county and of course Mexico. I have ridden a lot in Mexico over the years and there are organized rides from time to time.

So you can see the cycling in SD is pretty massive with lots of opportunity for all kinds of cycling with great weather.
Thanks for all the great info! I'm actually in the NY area for work for the next few weeks but I'll look into all of this when I return.