Old 09-02-16, 01:20 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Are those "proper tools" in your picture track-specific? Or will ordinarily road frame alignment tools (like the FFG-2) work on track frames as well? And if it's an aluminium frame with alignment issues, I presume I don't want to attempt to bend it into alignment as I would a steel frame?

And today's SNQOD: Are Lemond-era Scott Drop-In style bars forbidden or discouraged on tracks?
(Not the actual (noodly) Scott bars, but the Nitto/Specialized version which are much stiffer.)
Yes, alignment tools like the FFG-2 are agnostic and work on track or road frames steel dropouts/fork/track ends.

A poorly aligned AL frameset, much less a CF one, would not be a candidate for the flat-table/fork-jig work we did on steel racing frames back when.
I would be very thorough on the initial QC of any new frameset and simply send it back to the mfg if it way out of alignment. Straight is good.

Ask the SD track folk on bar recommendations/legality.
Even for pursuit those do not look like a good idea to me...

Gratuitous Zeus track bike pic because: Zeus (loved mine).

edit: I see above that you are looking to buy a used track bike, my favorite model the elusive "Caveat Emptor": Never crashed and only ridden in church pursuits on Sundays.
Be very thorough in your QC and willing to walk in a friendly and respectful manner if not up to snuff, or snap it up. One or the other.

Good luck.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Zeus_Track.jpg (93.7 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Bandera; 09-02-16 at 02:12 PM.