Old 10-31-19, 07:22 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 834:

17F this morning. The fall didn't give me much opportunity to slowly acclimate to colder temps, so I definitely could feel it. My fingers were going numb at about the 4 mile mark, then oddly enough were warming back up by the time I reached the office at 8 miles.

My toes continually got colder the entire ride. I was on my road bike which uses clipless pedals, and my shoes have vent holes. The vent holes feel nice when it's 90 degrees out, but not so much when the temp is below freezing. Once the snow flies and I switch to my winter bikes I'll be wearing boots with platform pedals and my toes will be good for another 20 degree temp drop before they get really cold.

I switch to goggles at the 20F mark, so today was the first time this season I wore them. Probably should have cleaned them off as once I was heading down the road I realized they were pretty spotted up.

Saw tracks from one other bicycle in the frost on a bridge. When I arrived at work a co-worker had also ridden (he takes a different route so those tracks I saw weren't his.) So I'm not the only nut out there.