View Single Post
Old 03-13-20, 11:10 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
If you would have asked me a week or two ago about all the cancellations I would have said everyone is extremely over reacting. I’ve changed my opinion 180 degrees in the last couple of days. Hopefully by reducing the amount of human contact the exponential growth of the spread of the virus can be better contained. It’s interesting how most of the cases cropping up locally have been related to international travel.

When you think about cycling events, it’s extremely challenging to keep them as sanitary as they need to be right now. From rest stops, mobile showers, “snot rockets” and super glamorous port-a-johns they’re just super germy. Throw in people attending from multiple areas and the event could be ripe for contagious viruses.

I recall one week long cycling event was hit by the Noravirus a few years ago and it spread through the attendees overnight. It was awful. It will be interesting to see what decisions are made related to events later this summer and after.

My solo rides are feeling better and better......
The problem is that people are infected and contagious before they know it. And that mass testing is infeasible ... at least for now. So it makes sense to social distance and avoid crowds for a while.

I thought it to be a good idea 2 weeks ago. My SO insisted on a plane flight to the Northwest to visit her mom (over 80) last week, and I'm still irritated about that. There was nothing I could do to convince her it was a bad idea. I was like a voice in the wilderness.

I had the chance to go to a Laker game earlier this week. ON THE FLOOR seats for free. I turned it down. That hurt, and most everyone thought I was crazy, but they don't think so now.

My concern is for people who are most at risk (I know quite a few who have compromised health), and for those affected economically by the shut down. I can simply work from home, with little change in my lifestyle (hell ... the crash had the same effect). Other people, not so much.

Likes For Biker395: