Old 03-31-20, 12:30 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The truss fork is fixing a problem that does not exist, however it is great product differentiation, and I suspect that is the sole reason this company uses it. As for direct mount derailleurs, I suspect Shimano has something up their sleeve in the future to make use of the "superior" properties of the direct mount. If it is just to create a new standard, then it, too is fixing a problem that does not exist.
A problem does exist, is the issue, and people have gotten desensitized to it because of how bad it is.

The RD hangar isn't even really a "standard". You bend a hangar-what do you do? There are ten million and "n" different hangers for every different frame ever made through all time that hangars are replaceable and all of them are unique snowflakes one-offs for one specific make and year and tier and model--and none of them put the RD in the same exact spot WRT the axle and cassette. The only thing "standard" about it is that the bolt threading for the RD is the same--otherwise it is a free-for-all.

The DM standard is very precise about where things goes, it also apples-apples shifts better. I've used it on the same frame with the same RD. Don't take my word for it--I asked Paragon Machine Works about this and this is what Mark Norstad of PWM said:

Our Direct-mount hanger specs are taken directly from Shimano's
standards. The difference in position you're seeing is probably a
result of where the conventional hanger is located. Standards for
conventional hangers are not as well defined, and typically have a lot
of leeway, sometimes as much as 6 mm total tolerance, depending on which
standard is being used.

True, it is a longer lever arm, but it's probably still stronger than
the link that Shimano supplies, and DM eliminates the link and extra
bolt for what could be considered a stouter hanger.

My personal experience with DM is that it is a big improvement over
previous systems.