carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
handlebar tape is not illegal.

that rule says that you can't add tape so that a handlebar meets the 3:1 rule. which is to say, if an untaped handlebar doesn't meet 3:1, but a taped handlebar does meet it - it doesn't pass.

confusion is ordinary, since the rules are often written to be strange, broad, curiously translated, and often in ways that conflict. basically the rules try to provide a template by which commissaires make reasonable decisions. no commissaire will prevent you from using a bike because you have taped your handlebars.
The other side of that coin is: When in doubt, don't do it or at least ask a commissionaire before the race begins (and give yourself time to change bars/tape if necessary). I've seen people denied clearance to ride at Masters Nationals bike check due to a geometry issue and the guy didn't have any replacement gear. This was 15 minutes before his event. Not sure if he got to ride or not. I've heard of people protesting the win of someone else because someone rode a helmet that wasn't CPSC legal. I think, technically, all CASCO Warp III helmets are illegal for local (non-UCI) USA cycling events

As QP notes, most times you won't be hassled by it. But, if it's technically illegal based on the rules under which we ride, then it's unsportsmanlike at best and a cheating at worse.

Imagine losing a close one to a person who modded the bars like that and it was later considered illegal.

tl;dr: Ask the person in charge of the race.