View Single Post
Old 11-09-17, 11:33 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
Rode out on the Ebisu in the early afternoon: the temperature had hit 50, it was sunny, and conditions were better than those forecast for the immediate future. My imagination seems to have gone out for a beer, so I simply rolled up the Minuteman towards Depot Park. Once I made it to Arlington's Great Meadow, the Bicycle Gods decided I should stop and change a flat, either as penance for some infraction (take your pick), or simply because they consider it fun to watch. This may be my first flat this year, or maybe not, but it's definitely the first flat on the 670+ miles that I've put on this set of Compass Stampede Pass Extralight tires. So far, so good. I got to work, pausing from time to time to chat with people (pedestrians, cyclists) who inquired as to my well-being and offered to help. My two favorites were an old Japanese couple who, on being told that I had a spare tube and tools, said, "Oh! Tools!", nodded sagely, and walked off, along with the cyclist who asked, "You got air?" while I was holding a Zefal Hpx in my right hand. Nice folks, all 6 or 8 of them... Found the hole in the tube, couldn't find a corresponding sharp embedded in the tire; while that's an unsatisfying state of affairs, there was no second flat during the subsequent 17 miles or so of riding.

That dealt with, I enjoyed the rest of the ride, grooving on the cool air and clear light.

I invited this turkey home for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Encountered a pair of Zagster users in Lexington, the first I've seen. Happy with them, apparently.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 11-10-17 at 09:41 AM.