View Single Post
Old 10-07-20, 04:01 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Also, the install/bleed job may not be at fault. Air can and does collect in the fluid reservoir in the levers. Inverting the bike in transport or during storage can jiggle some air from the reservoir in to the lines, resulting in some squish. If you want to try a quick "bleed,' tilt the bike/raise the front wheel so that the brake line is "uphill" from the caliper, and give the lever some vigorous flicks and pumps. If some sections of brake line are exposed, you can also tap on those sections while pumping/flicking the lever to encourage the bubbles to move upwards.
Ah, the joys. Can't say I miss that aspect of being a mechanic... Ironically enough though, these days, dealing with the shortcomings of hydraulics is all i do.

If there was a worthwhile alternative to pneumatic tyres, we'd be all over it, since relying on a contained fluid is inherently problematic... I have a feeling that if somehow, hydraulic brakes came first, there'd be a lot more people singing praises of the humble Bowden cable.