View Single Post
Old 03-23-18, 01:52 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Vittoria Terreno Dry Tire, 700x40c

https://www.vittoria.com/zh-hant/tire/terreno-dry-2/

size: 700x40C (advertised), 700x38C (sidewall label), 622-40 (Vittoria's package label)...IRL 38.5mm on SL25 rims

tread pattern: Semi-slick center with knobby shoulders. Center has (very) slightly raised hexagons, shoulder has trapezoidal blocks

construction: 120TPI. 460grams, so lighter for a 40mm-class tire. Rated for up to 35-87PSI per the sidewall. Actually a TCS certified tire I believe. Result, is these are a bit of a hassle to mount (bead jack time)--but they really snap into the rim and will stay there even when flat--like a proper tubeless setup....unlike Panaracer ghetto tubeless.

Interestingly, has a bit of a "V" profile to the center of the treat when mounted, unlike others that are rounded.

performance on pavement: In wet or dry quite good. Spin up faster than more file-knobby center gravel tires. Don't spit gravel back at people in a paceline. Being semi-slick they due spray water a bit when wet. Being a smaller "700x40ish" circumference tire they have fewer gear inches-so you'll probably end up using one higher gear.

performance on firm and smooth gravel: As good as pavement. Confident cornering

performance on deep or soft gravel: In this stuff, all narrower tires suffer a bit whether knobby or not...and IMHO you tend to be more limited by tire width than tread pattern. In any case, it isn't very confident and can get squirrely.

durability: Running tubeless, seals well. Very wide range of pressures on the sidewall. Doesn't wear down in the center as much as knobbie tires when predominantly on pavement.

ride: Smooth, although it does have a bit of "Tie Fighter" tread air-noise when spinning. A nice quicker choice for harder ground. And with support for a wide range of pressures (sidewall says 35-87PSI!) can handle heavy loads like touring/panniers as well as rec riding on dry gravel/MMR or paved stuff.
I am also now using the 700x40 Terreno dry, I'm happy with the tire. I use it on the front wheel and the Hutchinson Override on the rear. I'm very happy with this combination.

My 700x40 Terreno measure 41mm wide on a WTB i23 rim. This rim is 28mm wide, external.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-24-18 at 11:19 AM.