Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
not a single lane or parking spot will be reforested.
It's happening.

Originally Posted by tandempower
One way of doing that is to use 'should' statements. If people don't like hearing opinions about what they should do or what should happen, that's their problem. No one is forcing you to do what someone else says you should do or otherwise encourages you to do. No one can make you heed warnings about the consequences of your actions, etc. There is no reason for you to resent information coming from others that is meant to suggest certain choices or reasons for choices. It is just part of how we communicate with each other as humans who have an interest in each other's actions and the broader effects that are caused by those actions.
No. Just ... no.

Where to even begin ...

From my experience, the problem with people who tell others what they should do or what should happen is that those people usually have no clue whatsoever about what's really going on, and their "shoulds" are usually so far off the mark it just leaves me shaking my head in disbelief.

One particular line from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey) always leaps to mind when I've got one of those "should-ers" yapping away in front of me. It helps me nod and smile.

BTW - if you've studied communication at all, you should (heh heh) use could or would rather than should. As in "would this help?" or "could you try?" ... if someone comes to you for advice.

Last edited by Machka; 02-04-19 at 07:15 AM.