View Single Post
Old 08-24-06, 07:51 AM
XC99TF00
5AM ride again? Damn...

Bikes: '98 Softride Powercurve Mountain Bike - LX and XT; '04 Softride Solo Road Bike - Campy Veloce; Late 70's Richard Sachs Frame with old Campy - Yet to be rebuilt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalai
2. The Zipp and Softride carbon TT/tri bikes were the rage too. Where did they go?

UCI ruling banned Beam bikes - so only could still be used for triathlons. Large loss of the market, plus carbon aero frames now released offering a similar ride.
Not to be nitpicky or anything, but that's only partially true... (I ride softrides, so I know where they are banned) They are indeed banned by UCI ruling, however, the UCI only has ruling over a select few races in the US, for example Tour de Georgia, and Tour of California. For 95% (guess) of all road races in the US, a beam bike is allowed, since they are predominantly USCF run or sponsored events. And the USCF does not (or had not as of this summer) banned beam bikes. I rode my softride solo in a road race and noone had any qualms about it, other than the strange looks I got from people.