Old 06-17-19, 01:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Well that was the question.

Would they make me happier?

Would nicer wheels roll better? Be rounder? Give me a shoulder rub every few miles?

Or would I not notice the difference?

If I broke a wheel I'd probably replace it rather than repair it because I'm of the opinion that repairing low end parts isn't usually as cost effective after a certain point as buying a higher quality part to replace it.

The repair I did last year cost like $12 for parts and labor...so that made sense. But I wouldn't pay $150 to repair a stock wheel.

But with 2 functioning wheels, is there any point to replacement for the sake of replacement?
It all depends on what the new wheels are. Always better to run to something rather than away from something else. New wheels might be lighter, tubeless compatible, more aero, wider, or any number of things in combination. Have a clear goal before you start shopping. If you don't, you're liable to make a lateral move and end up disappointed when there truly is no improvement to feel.

I've never paid more than $350 for a complete bike (it was used), but I've never regretted building up new wheels for any project.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: