Old 09-28-20, 09:04 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Appreciate the thoughts. I ask because I ride a 56cm top tube in both endurance and racing geometry bikes, and someone locally is selling a Scattante 56cm bike for $550. It has bad wheels and a Deore groupset (WTH?), but I have a 2x10 Ultegra groupset sitting doing nothing, and I could slap it on there. The Scattante frame is carbon with steel forks, but I thought "so what?"

Not sure if I am ready to believe the drivetrain isn't that important, but again: if I have what I need already, so what?

Should I get that frame for $550? Buy one off eBay for less? I'm like Belichick, I like things that can serve more than one purpose so at least the Scattante could be an 'emergency road bike?'
If you have a better group set use it! But the reason I say on the trainer that the group set doesn’t matter much is as you move up in group sets you’re mostly paying for lighter components, which doesn’t matter, slightly more refined shifting action especially under duress and cross chaining protection, none of these matter too much on a trainer either. The actual shifting action is very good across all the groups.

Your Wahoo can be set up to optimize the resistance to minimize shifting or even put in erg mode where you don’t need shift at all during a training session. Therefore amount of shifting you do indoors can be much less than outside, and if you’re racing you want to set it up so you do very little shifting with trainer difficulty set to 30-40%.
Likes For billridesbikes: