View Single Post
Old 01-24-03, 03:58 PM
fietser_ivana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by ChipRGW
The best reason to slow down the weight loss is, that your body tries hard to maintain "status-quo", meaning that if you weigh, 200 lbs, your body wants to stay at 200 lbs. If it detects too rapid a weight loss, it will begin to take measures to hold on to that weight, like rapidly turning ANY excess calories into fat stores. The body begins to think it is starving and will take any measures to prevent that. Your metabolism will slow down, and for long term weight loss, that is BAD. It does seem kind of silly that your own body wouldn't know that what you were doing was good for it. But alas, the higher thinking part of your brain has no control over this. Unless you are very lucky, weight loss higher than 1 or 2 lbs/week will eventually stop and it will be even MORE difficult to stay on track to weight loss. The most effective weight loss is to convince your body to increase it's metabolic rate, which IS possible, but it takes a long time.
You are absolutely right. I was stalling since late November despite working out 5x/wk and attending 2 spinning classes as well as swimming once/wk .. I just didn't lose weight and I'm at 33% BF (72 kg and 1,58 m tall).
Anyway I was told to check www.caloriesperhour.com and I dutifully did so.. I was amazed at the variety of things they listed and just couldn't just pick a few things, I had to make an elaborate spreadsheet.But anyway, I calculated everything and guess what? I was spending on average 3000 kcal/day and eating 1800 kcal (sometimes a bit more sometimes (when sleeping in 2-3 times/week) less. It was suggested to me to increase food intake until 2500 kcal. I'm not exactly going to do this but instead of the avg 1200 kcal deficit, I will do a 750 kcal deficit from day to day.. eg. when it's 3000 kcal, I eat 2250 kcal and when I burn 3800 kcal (Sat) I'll eat 3000 kcal. I will keep track of exercises I add or skip and eat accordingly...

Yup a scientific mind.. no surprise that I'm eating 6 meals of approx 300 kcal each now?:thumbup:

Ivana