View Single Post
Old 03-05-19, 09:10 AM
Project24

Bikes: Mostly old Raleighs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I apologize if I am repeating something since I haven’t read all the comments. I got to the post where someone spent $400 on a set a racks, remembered the story “My First ATV” (I believe that was the title) and realized we are not talking about the same activity I consider cycling. I never considered cycling a hobby. I always considered it an activity like walking, running, swimming, or playing basketball. It is not the cheapest activity but it is not the most expensive either. You do not need to own a basketball or court or gym membership to play basketball. They have free courts around where you can practice or have a pick-up games. But to cycle, you almost have to have a bike or what you refer to as a BSO. Now this is where my different view point comes into play. My hobby is restoring and working on bicycles (cars, tractors, etc). The last bike project I bought cost $20, 1980s steel frame and double butted tubing. The saddle was some mattress type thing in excellent condition that I sold for $25. Repacked the bearings as part of my hobby. Also, as part of my hobby, I freed an oxidized seat post. I “borrowed” a seat intended for another project (nashbar source a few years ago at a discounted price). Tires were still good so the bike was used for my activity, Cycling. Keep in mind cycling is inexpensive, it is collecting the bikes and all the gear you want/feel you need that is a hobby.