spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Thank you! I'm not sure if I'll take the AMTRAK train...I think they changed the schedule but IIRC getting from the campground to the train station would be pre-dawn. The hotel might make sense even if I rent a car for the return to Cumberland...gives more time to explore Pittsburgh incl Bicycle Heaven. Reminds me of recent time I rode to Union Station DC...a guy hanging around advised against locking the bike up outside, heh. (So I wheeled it inside w/no problem.) Union Station 2 blocks from US Capitol but very near some high-crime areas.
You could hang out in the downtown area of Pittsburgh till the sun starts to come up. That early 2nd Ave would be fairly safe. You could take that to the Hot Metal Bridge. Once there, you really don't have to worry till you hit Duquesne and by that time all the gang members probably went to bed.

But I have seen some shady goings on were the bike path crosses through Duquesne. It was on the other side of the fence. Keep my eyes on the path and minded my own business.